11 August, 2020

The “Appeal to Empathy” Argument …



Q. “If your position is correct (i.e., that God has no love at all toward the reprobate, that He despises, loathes and abominates his entire existence and way of life in every aspect), to be consistent, therefore, whenever my family members or my neighbors do well in their lives or get a good job, or find a wife/husband, or if they finally have a child after trying for many years, I shouldn’t rejoice or be happy for them, for they could possibly be a reprobate, and all those good gifts and things happening in their lives are but God’s ways of increasing their judgment and final condemnation ... and I should rather feel sorry for them ... Besides, every breath they make and everything they do is sin and displeasing to God ... Or if a family member or neighbor of mine is involved in a car crash, or loses their job, or if their house burns down, or if their son or daughter commits suicide, I shouldn’t be sad for them, for they could be a reprobate, and that accident could be a just judgment of God upon them ... The only basis whereby I, as a child of my Father in heaven, may empathize with my neighbors and family members is if God Himself has empathy towards all men ... Otherwise, I am not acting as a child of God. and I deny, by my own empathy, the truth of reprobation and the truth about God’s disposition towards man.”



(I)

Prof. David J. Engelsma

The response to this argument is that God is God and we are not.  
We are to love our neighbor, regardless whether he is, in our judgment, a believer or an unbeliever, an elect or a reprobate, and to do good to him as much as we can. 
This implies that we grieve over his miseries—much more over his unbelief than over his physical misfortunes.  At the same time, we can be angry at his denial of God. 
God on the other hand is angry with the wicked every day and curses him in all his life, if he is a reprobate unbeliever, who on his part hates God.
Further, I am not impressed by the evasion of the issue on the part of the one making this argument.  He wants to have God loving the wicked in his temporal circumstances, but he apparently agrees that God hates the same persons with regard to their spiritual condition and with regard to their eternal destiny, namely, hell.  I am supposed to be a heartless fellow because I deny a love of God for the reprobate ungodly in temporal things, but the one making the above argument is much nicer, even though he confesses an eternal hatred and punishment of the wicked in hell. 
If I allowed my feelings to determine my theology, as the one making this argument is doing, I would deny hell, which is far worse than God’s curse in time with regard to temporal circumstances. 
Biblically, the curse of Jehovah is in the house of the wicked (Proverbs 3)—in his house, his earthly dwelling with all it contains and regarding all his life in that house. 
Only Jesus, by His death, delivers humans from God’s omnipresent and all-encompassing curse (Galatians 3:13).  What other than the cross of Christ (for the elect, experienced by faith) delivers from the curse in the judgment of the one arguing the above?
I have sympathy for many ungodly in all their suffering, especially that they are under the curse of God in their unbelief.  In love for them, I witness to them the gospel and call them to faith; give them money if they are poor; and visit them in the hospital if they are sick. 
I do it in the name of Jesus.
But God’s attitude towards them must be determined from the testimony of His word. 
What does the one who makes this argument think of the destruction of all the world but Noah in the flood?  What does he think of the sickness and death of an ungodly young mother? What does he think of the wrath of God burning over an ungodly world bringing about all the suffering and death of WW I and WW II? 

(DJE, 31/07/2020)







No comments:

Post a Comment