20 February, 2022

Cornelius Hanko (1907-2005) on John 3:16

 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).

 

(a)

[Source: Missions or “I Will Build My Church”]

Any student of the Scriptures must realize that the term “world” in Scripture almost never refers to all men head for head. It can refer to the sum total of those who are under the dominion of Satan, so that the believer is warned not to love that world of wickedness (I John 2:15). Who would think for a moment that the “world” in I John 2:15 refers to all men head for head, including the elect? No one. But neither can John 3:16 refer to the world of wicked men, as in I John 2:15. Here in John 3:16 Jesus is speaking of the entire organism of God’s elect, as they finally make up that multitude that no man can number in the new creation.





No comments:

Post a Comment